Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Calvin's little fort

Gail Medrick, a professional office organizer, is helping me to set up my home office. The problem is that my "office" is scattered haphazardly all over my house. I know that I needed help, because my office is so non-functional that it makes it hard to get work done.

A year ago I had plans to turn the closet under the stairs into my office room. My idea was that I could put my filing cabinet in there, and use the shelves to keep track of my clips and clients. But after the filing cabinet went in, so did the skis and the books and the gloves and the propane camping oven. So I absolutely can't get to the filing cabinet, so the files have become completely useless. Instead I have piles.

On top of all that Calvin loves to go in there and mess around, and I'm always afraid that he;s going to get impaled on something.

Gail's solution to the problem was pretty interesting. At first she thought to make the room into an overflow room, but then had a much better idea. We will take out all the adult stuff. The files will go upstairs, into what will be my official home office and the skis will go into the storage outside. We'll just make it a room for Calvin. We can put books and a bean bag chair and markers and toys. He can go in there and it will be his own little world.

No comments:

Post a Comment