Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Read to him whether he likes it or not!


Some of my friends say that their kids won't sit and listen to an entire story, and so they spend their time working on a puzzle or talking about the pictures. You can learn a lot from puzzles and pictures, but when it comes to reading stories from beginning to end, I never wait until my baby looks like he' s paying attention, I just plow ahead.

I mean, Calvin is a baby not an Oxford graduate student. He's never going to sit there with his hands folded and a thoughtful look on his face. He spends his time trying to eat the pages and rip off the moving tabs and flaps, but still, I plow ahead.

Tonight I read him The Saggy Baggy Elephant. He grabbed it while he cruised past the couch, and so I started to read it to him under the kitchen table, but then he crawled into the hallway, and I followed him, still reading, and finished the book with him laying on the kitchen floor waving a wire whisk. I think he enjoyed the story more when I crawled around the floor reading it to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment