Saturday, May 16, 2009

Mother son teeth brushing


Calvin immediately took a liking to brushing his teeth. Even when he was a baby and I had that little baby brush that you stick over your finger to rub on his gums. It must feel good, and it makes him laugh.

He loves brushing his teeth. When I told his pediatrician that he does it himself, she raised her eyebrows at me and said I better get in there and make sure he does a good job. The only problem is that he won't hand over the brush. I'm especially worried about his front teeth. I never see him getting them, and I can't get him to lift his upper lip so I can brush them.

So I just brush my teeth with him. I say, "Wanna brush your teeth?" and he crawls to the bathroom saying "brush" and "teeth." I put some Grins and Giggles on his ducky toothbrush and hand it to him. Then I sit on the floor and brush my teeth. He's content for a few seconds copying me as I jiggle the handle of my brush. But then he baby attacks me and tries to get my toothbrush. I try to explain that toothbrushes and tissues are two things that you don't share...even if it is with your mommy. He just wants to get his hands on my toothbrush. Maybe because it's big, and much more technical looking than his. My toothbrush had a tongue scraper and all sorts of bells and whistles that I'm not sure what to make of. Almost always he snags my brush. I tried to distract him with my spare brush, and he ended up with an adult brush in both fists, and with each stroke he would use a different toothbrush.

2 comments:

  1. when i saw this post title i hoped you would use this picture. teehee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How perfect! Your ad on this page is about white teeth... funny.

    ReplyDelete